ClickUp is all about taking immediate action. You'll find this illustrated in the layout of every task you create.
Task View Organization
When viewing a task, information is separated into two columns, left and right. The left side displays task details - basically, what needs to be done and how to do it. The right side is all about communication and alerting assignees and watchers of new activity. Check out the features offered on each side below:
The left side
Task details and statuses (Top)
- Move Task: Floating above the task window sits a navigation bar reminding you which Space, Project, and List the task is located in. Select the symbol to the right of the bar to move the task to another Space, Project, or List!
- Change Task Order in List View: In the navigation bar, the number to the right of the task's location is the task's position in the List view. Click in the gray outlined rectangle and edit this number to rearrange the order that this task will appear.
- Change Task Status: Click the arrow to the right of the status name to move the task to it's next status. Otherwise, click on the status name and in the dropdown box, click on a status name to move the task to that status. Lastly, mark a status 'Done' by clicking the checkbox.
- Add or remove assignees: Click anywhere on the face icon shown below to assign or reassign members in your Space to a task. Clicking the reassign button beside a user's name will quickly remove any current assignee(s) and replace them with the new user you selected.
- Add Tags: Give your tasks a renewed sense of purpose and organization, and enable completely unrestricted grouping.
Add Dependencies: Click the ellipses
...to add Dependencies. These let your team know if this task is
- Priorities: Classify the prioritization of the given task, using the flagpole icon.
- Rich Editing: What’s a task without any detail? Use the description field to establish what needs to be done before closing the task. ClickUp (exclusively) offers ultra-rich text editing that allows for clear, aesthetically pleasing information.
Items associated with the task (Bottom)
- To Do: Subtasks, assigned comments, and checklists that require action will appear here under the "To Do" section. Here you can view, quickly edit, or complete any action items associated with the task. Checklists can be created from scratch, or from an existing template.
- Attachments: This is where all files associated with the task live. With each file, you have the ability to rename, view fullscreen, download, delete, or sort. You can view attachments in box view or list view by clicking on the icons in the upper right corner.
Cloud Storage: You can even create or attach Dropbox and Google Drive files directly in your task! Just click the
Addbutton next to "Attachments" (available only for paid users)
What's that ellipses thing?
The right side
Activity details (Top)
- Create New Task: Floating above the right side of the task modal is a + button allowing you to create a new task without leaving Task View!
- Meta Data: This shows you when the task was created
- Time Tracking: Track time worked in ClickUp tasks
- Time Estimated: Estimate how long you think it will take to complete the task
- Due Date: If enabled, you can see and make changes to the due dates
- Watchers: Watchers are users that are not assigned a task, but will be notified of any and all changes. Adjust the watchers by clicking the "Eye" at the top right.
- Recurrences: Set a task to recur at a certain date or when a certain action is committed
- Minimizing a task: will dock the task into your tray, allowing you to come back at any point. Don't worry about losing information- even if you close the task, your partially written comments will be saved as drafts!
- Attach any file in a comment to give your team some context and utilize rich text to emphasize key information. You can drag and drop the file into the comment section or use the Google Drive or Dropbox icons.
- Assign a comment: Inevitably, things get lost in comments. With assigned comments, you can instantly create subtasks for yourself or others.
- Mention another Team member in your Space by clicking on the '@' symbol to ensure this person receives a notification about your comment.
- Mention another related task by clicking on the '#' to create an easy link between the current task and the other task.
- Take advantage of markdown and formatting options to add rich clarity to comments.
Be sure to let us know what else you would like to see on our feedback board here!