If you haven't realized yet, ClickUp is all about taking immediate action. You'll find this illustrated in the layout of every task you create.
Task View Organization
When viewing a task, information is separated into two columns, left and right. The left side displays task details - basically, what needs to be done and how to do it. The right side is all about communication and alerting assignees and watchers of new activity. Check out the features offered on each side below:
The left side
Task details and statuses (Top)
- Move Task: Floating above the task window sits a navigation bar reminding you which Space, Project, and List the task is located in. This makes changing a task's location just a few clicks away.
- Change Task Status: Simply click the colored arrow shown below to move the task to its next status in your workflow; choose the drop down box to move it to a specific status; or mark it done by clicking the checkbox.
- Add or remove assignees: Click anywhere on the icon shown below to assign or reassign members in your Space to complete your task. You also have the option to click "reassign" a task. Clicking the reassign button beside a user's name will quickly remove any current assignee(s) and replace them with who you selected.
- Add Tags: Organize tasks on a whole new dimension. Give your tasks a renewed sense of purpose and enable completely unrestricted grouping.
- Rich Editing: What’s a task without any detail? Use the description field to establish what needs to be done before closing the task. ClickUp (exclusively) offers ultra-rich text editing that allows for clear, visually pleasing information.
Items associated with the task (Bottom)
- To Do: Subtasks and assigned comments that require action will appear here under the "To Do" section. Here you can view, quickly edit, or complete any subtasks or assigned comment associated with the task.
- Attachments: This is where all files associated with the task live. With each file, you have the ability to rename, view fullscreen, download, delete, or sort.
The right side
Activity details (Top)
- Create New Task: Floating above the right side of the task modal is a + button allowing you to create a new task without leaving Task View!
- Meta Data: This shows you when the task was created and last updated
- Time Tracking: Track time worked in ClickUp tasks
- Due Date: If enabled, you can see and make changes to the due dates
- Watchers: Watchers are users that are not assigned a task, but will be notified of any and all changes. Adjust the watchers by clicking the "Eye" at the top right.
- Priorities: Classify the prioritization of the given task, using the flagpole icon.
- Comments are powerful in ClickUp. Attach any file in a comment to give your team some context and utilize rich text to emphasize key information.
- Assign a comment! Inevitably, things get lost in comments. With assigned comments, you can instantly create and assign action items for yourself or others.
Minimize Task View
- Minimizing a task will dock the task into your tray allowing you to come back at any point. Use this to keep active tasks at the top of your mind all day 🤔
- Opening ClickUp in a new browser tab will retain your docked tasks for further use!
- Minimizing (or closing) a task with a partially written comment will save the comment as a draft 🔥