Creating a task in ClickUp is simple. You can create new tasks from scratch or save yourself time by using task templates! Just click the
+ New Task symbol in the upper right corner of your screen to start from a template, favorite, or clean slate!
Create Task Options
1. Create Task from a Template
2. Load Task Details from a Template
- From Favorite - Fires up a new task with the Space, Project, and List pre-loaded
- From Scratch - Keep reading
What You can Add to Tasks
Mandatory Task Elements
- Select the Space, List, and Project that your task will be located in by clicking on the drop-down menu below the task title.
- Optionally, save time by choosing the list from your saved Favorites or even create a new Favorite from this menu
- Give your task a name
Optional Task Elements
Opento view a dropdown of your Custom or Simple Status options. If you do not select a status, your task will simply remain in the
- Select the circular profile icon to add assignees to your task. You can also change or remove assignees by clicking on this icon
- Add watchers to your task by selecting the Eye icon on the far right. Watchers are not assigned to the task, but can be notified of any and all changes within the task
- Click on the calendar icon to add a due date to your task. Due dates are enabled at the Space level, so make sure those are turned on for the Space you've selected
- Let your team know the Priority of this task by clicking on the Flag. You may classify your task as urgent, high, normal, or low priority
- Attach custom tags by clicking the Tag symbol to clearly define your task's purpose
- Clicking the hour glass symbol will allow you to set a time estimate for your task
- Add a task description in the text box, and take advantage of rich text editing options in the tool bar above
Add Subtaskto include smaller action items you'll need to complete within the task
Add Checklistto start up a new checklist for this task or add one from a template
- Drag-and-drop or add attachments directly at the bottom of your task. You'll have the ability to rename, view fullscreen, download, delete, or sort any attachment you add
- Set this task to recur! Recurring tasks repeat on a schedule or a trigger.
- Once you've created the task, you can make it recur at specific intervals by clicking the loop symbol in the upper right section of your task.
Need to save an incomplete task draft for later? Just click
> to the left of your task to minimize it for later.
Create Tasks Options
Once you've finished drafting your task, there are a few actions you can take:
- Create and open: Create the task and then immediately open it
- Create and create another: Create the task and then immediately populate a blank new task
Create and duplicate: Create the task and then populate another task with the same information
Create templates for your most popular tasks for later use! You'll be able to view all of your task templates when hovering over
+ NEW TASK
Be sure to let us know what else you would like to see on our feedback board here!