Creating a task in ClickUp is simple, and enables you to quickly jot down any action item that comes to mind. Just click the
+ New Task symbol in the upper right corner of your screen to get started!
Creating a Task
There many notable features within a task, some of which are mandatory, while others are completely optional.
Mandatory Task Elements
- Select the Space that your task will be located in by clicking on the drop-down menu in the upper left corner of your task window
- Select the List and Project within the Space you have chosen where you'd like to place this task
- Give your task a name
Optional Task Elements
Opento view a dropdown of your Custom or Simple Status options. If you do not select a status, your task will simply remain in the
- Select the circular profile icon to add assignees to your task. You can also change or remove assignees by clicking on this icon
- Add watchers to your task by selecting the Eye icon on the far right. Watchers are not assigned to the task, but can be notified of any and all changes within the task
- Click on the calendar icon to add a due date to your task. Due dates are enabled at the Space level, so make sure those are turned on for the Space you've selected
- Let your team know the Priority of this task by clicking on the Flag. You may classify your task as urgent, high, normal, or low priority
- Attach custom tags by clicking the Tag symbol to clearly define your task's purpose
- Clicking the hour glass symbol will allow you to set a time estimate for your task
- Add a task description in the text box, and take advantage of rich text editing options in the tool bar above
Add Subtaskto include smaller action items you'll need to complete within the task
- Drag-and-drop or add attachments directly at the bottom of your task. You'll have the ability to rename, view fullscreen, download, delete, or sort any attachment you add
- Once you've created the task, you can make it recur at specific intervals by clicking the loop symbol in the upper right section of your task.
Need to save an incomplete task draft for later? Just click
> to the left of your task to minimize it for later.
Create Tasks Options
Once you've finished drafting your task, there are a few actions you can take:
- Create and open: Create the task and then immediately open it
- Create and create another: Create the task and then immediately populate a blank new task
Create and duplicate: Create the task and then populate another task with the same information
Be sure to let us know what else you would like to see on our feedback board here!