How long does an import take?
After you've confirmed the import, the actual importing time can vary between 1 minute to a few hours. This is entirely based on how much data you have in Trello as well as Trello's rate limits.
We'll send you an email as soon as your import is done.
Then, import your Trello boards into the Spaces you already created.
How to start an Import from Trello
Note: You must be an admin or owner on your team in order to perform an import.
- Go to Settings
- Click Import (left sidebar)
- Click the Trello tab and click Import
- Authorize ClickUp to import your tasks on Trello's website
- Boom! You're ready to start importing steps...
After authorizing ClickUp to import your Trello data, you'll be presented 3 steps.
Step 1: Import Tasks
On the left side, you'll see all boards from Trello.
On the right side, is how you're mapping boards into ClickUp Projects.
You have two choices for importing boards:
- Import Columns as Statuses: For example, your columns would be things like:- To do - In progress- Review - Done In this case, your Board will be imported as a new project with a list named 'Imported from Trello'. You'll then have the option to import into an existing space or a new space.
- Import Columns as Lists: Basically, anything that isn't statuses. You label columns for organizational purposes - not for moving tasks through a workflow. In this case, your board will be imported as a new project and your columns will become ClickUp lists.
Next, choices are to import them into a new Space or an existing Space. Read more about ClickUp hierarchy to understand Spaces and Projects in ClickUp.
- New Space - Import the project into a brand new space, named after the Trello project.
- Existing Space - Import your project into an existing ClickUp Space. This option is recommended for all projects that relate to each other from Trello.
- Do not import this project - Skips this Trello project and will not import it into ClickUp.
Tip: We recommend importing boards that relate to each other into the same Space in ClickUp. This keeps your sidebar organized and easy to navigate.
Step 2: Import Users
Map Trello users to ClickUp users in order to preserve assignees, history, and task activity. If you don't map users, the data will still be imported, but will not be synced to a ClickUp user and assignees that aren't mapped to ClickUp will not be preserved.
Note: If you haven't already added users into ClickUp, simple select 'invite by email' to invite and map automatically."
Step 3: Options
Import archived Trello cards
This option allows you to import all cards or just open tasks into ClickUp. Generally, we recommend importing all of your cards - you can reference all past history and attachments in ClickUp.
Import attachments from Trello
Most people do want to import attachments from Trello. If you're on the Free Forever plan and worried about going over your storage limit, then you might want to select 'no' to skip importing attachments.
Unfortunately, Trello does not provide a way to calculate how much data is in your attachments, so you'll only know after the import has been completed.
If you're done with your import and are ready to move stuff around, make sure to take advantage of our Multitask Toolbar!