ClickUp users can take one of four roles within their Workspace: Member, Admin, Owner, or Guest.
Guests are people that you don’t want having full access to ClickUp. The major differences are:
- Do not have access to Spaces
- Cannot create Spaces, Folders, or Lists
- Cannot see everyone on the Workspace
- Cannot edit permissions
- Cannot view reporting or Box view
- Can be given the ability to edit tags
- Can use Custom Fields if granted permissions
- Read more about guests in paid plans
Members are people that you generally trust and don’t mind them being able to create things.
- Create Spaces, Folders, Lists, and tasks
- Get access to all public Spaces
- Can see everyone on the Workspace
- Can share things with guests and other members (but can’t add new members)
- Can make Spaces, Folders, Lists, and tasks private, but only if they created or are the owner of the item
Admins are people that can be trusted to manage your Workspace. In addition to everything users can do, admins can also:
- Add new members, manage permissions, and remove existing members
- Importing, Exporting, and managing Integrations
- Manage billing, user roles, imports, integrations, and other Workspace settings
Owner (person that created Workspace)
Owners are ultimately in charge of Workspace. In addition to everything admins can do, owners can also:
- Delete Workspaces
- Transfer ownership
- Manage Spaces they don't have access to
- Workspace owners know private Spaces exist and have the ability to change the owner of the Space
User roles details
PDF version available here.
How to Make Changes to User Roles as an Admin or Owner
- Click on your profile avatar in the bottom left corner of your screen
- Click the ... beside a Workspace member
- Select the member's role
Have more questions about user roles? Check out our FAQ here.
Be sure to let us know what else you would like to see on our feedback board here!