Impeccable organization is at the heart of project management. We strongly feel that solid structure is lacking in many other project management platforms, which is why created the ClickUp Hierarchy.
ClickUp's structure can provide a bit of a learning curve, but once you gain familiarity with its structure, you'll be able to delegate and organize on an entirely new level.
Your Workspaces are the top level. Workspaces act as containers for all of your workflows. You can join or create as many Workspaces as you like - and easily switch between them.
IMPORTANT NOTE: ClickUp is separated at the Workspace level, so it is not possible to view or transfer information across Workspaces. If you need to see everything in one place, we recommend creating one Workspace to manage everything.
The second level of the hierarchy, and the containers for your work. Each Space has its own workflow settings. ClickUp makes it easy to switch and search between Spaces.
Lastly, the left-hand sidebar is made up of Folders, and nested within are your Lists. Similar to Folders, Lists acts as your fourth level of organizing and storing tasks within a project. Folders are also an optional level of the hierarchy.
ClickUp users utilize Folders for things like:
And really, Folders should be anything that helps you stay organized.
The most fundamental element of ClickUp. Tasks inherit traits from Spaces, and again, are organized within a specific Folder and List.
When viewing a task, information is separated into two columns. The left displays task details - basically, what needs to be done and how to do it. The right is all about communication and alerting assignees and watchers of new activity.
Left Side: Details and statuses
- Move Task - Changing a task’s location is always just a few clicks away.
- Change Task Status - Quickly manipulate the position of a task in your workflow.
- Add or remove assignees - Let teammates know who's responsible.
- Rich Editing - What’s a task without clearly defined instruction?
- To-Do - Active subtasks, Assigned Comments, and tasks checklists appear here.
- Attachments - All files associated with the task live here.
Right Side: Everything activity
- Meta Data - When the task was created and last updated.
- Due Date and Start Date - View and make changes to task dates and times
- Watchers - Adjust the watchers with the eye icon at the top right.
- Comments - Comments allow attachments and rich text in ClickUp.
- Assigned Comments - Instantly create and assign action items.
- Time - Time Tracked and Time Estimated
1. List View
The most common way to easily manage and prioritize your tasks. Asana users will feel right at home. And there's so much more!
Never perform tedious, repetitive action again. We’ve eliminated the monotonous nature of project management at every level of the platform via the multitask toolbar. See what it can do!
It's about time that someone combines everything you need related to time in one platform!
ClickUp's Calendar View is your place for planning, scheduling, and resource management.
3. Board View
Agile Boards visualize tasks by status in a pipeline for drag and drop usability. This allows you to easily move tasks through your workflow. Board View is the go-to view for agile teams, but every user can utilize the convenience offered here.
4. Gantt View
We heard you, project managers! We built our own beautiful Gantt View so you can plan out projects, manage time spent, and dictate deadlines.
5. Map view
Looking for your next job location, real estate listing, or delivery address for an upcoming task?
Coupled with the Location Custom Field, clearly see where your tasks, destinations, or any relevant location falls on a map! Pins can be customized to display the color of the task status, priority, or even a custom dropdown field.
6. Activity view
Wonder what activity is happening in a List, Folder, Space, or your entire Workspace? Add an Activity view anywhere to get an aggregated view of all activity across that location. Filter for people and type to get granular with the activity you see.
- What are people working on?
- What have people done?
- Who needs more tasks and who has too many tasks?
8. Mind Maps
Create your own free-form Mind Map for planning and organizing projects, ideas, or start building off of what you've already created in ClickUp. The world is your oyster!
9. Table view
In Table view, every row is the same height, every field is a column, and by default, there is no separation by List or status. Overall, Table view offers a more condensed view - great for viewing a ton of information at once.
10. Timeline view
Plan your work over time or create visual Roadmaps with Timeline view! Similar to Gantt (except you can have multiple Tasks per row), Timeline is a linear way to visualize your schedule with flexible organization.
11. Workload view
Plan and monitor your team's work capacity with Workload view! Based on Timeline view, Workload allows you to visualize your team's capacity and manage resources.
1. Doc View
Create, collaborate, and keep all of your work in one place by creating wikis and docs for whatever you're working on.
2. Chat View
Talk about items unrelated to specific tasks - in any view or location in ClickUp. These give you all the same power of attachments, notifications, unfurled task links, and even embedding.
3. Embed View
Embed almost any site or app that your Workspace needs within ClickUp so that ClickUp becomes the only app your team needs.
4. Form view
Streamline your intake process with Form view. Build beautiful forms to collect information and create tasks in ClickUp!
When navigating through the views, it’s important to remember you can drown out unnecessary noise and focus on your tasks with a click. Easily switch between all tasks or just your own with these two tabs.
ClickUp's action center. Notifications in ClickUp will flow in from the Workspace level. This keeps you organized across the board on one page.
Clearing notifications is the best way to stay organized and on top of all task communication and activity.
- Unfurl ClickUp tasks in Slack - Instantly get more context around a task the second you post a ClickUp link in Slack. Perform ClickUp actions with one click in Slack. No more typing commands. Simply click the drop-down selection to change Assignees and Statuses.
- Slack Notifications - Customize notifications to send to Slack Select one or more Spaces to post notifications to your Slack channel of choice. You can even add multiple notification types if you want to post different Spaces in different channels.
- Integrating GitHub with ClickUp allows you to associate commits, branches, and pushes directly within ClickUp tasks. You can choose to do this automatically with every update or manually when you feel it is appropriate.
- Optionally receive notifications when GitHub activity is recorded in any task you are watching.
Click here to browse all of ClickUp's integrations options!