Watchers are people that are "watching" (or "following") a task. These people receive notifications when tasks they watch are updated.
Throughout ClickUp, you’ll see the "Eye" icon indicating Watchers:
How to watch a task
While viewing a task, click the eye icon on the top right side of the task window. Then, select yourself and/or others to add to Watchers.
Manage Watchers for a task: In addition to adding yourself, you also can add, edit, or remove watchers for the entire task. The names that are in purple are Watchers.
Other places you can adjust Watchers:
- Notifications page: Easily watch and unwatch tasks directly from the Notifications page by clicking the eye icon.
- Creating task: Click the Eye icon in the Create Task window to add people to the Watchers list.
- Multitask Toolbar: If you need to add or remove Watchers in bulk, use the Multitask toolbar to add watchers to multiple tasks at the same time.
What makes you a Watcher?
- When you're tagged in a task
- When you're assigned to a task
- When a comment is assigned to you in a task
- When you or someone else adds you through the Eye icon (available on task and in notifications)
What's the difference between a Watcher and an Assignee?
An assignee is responsible for completing one or more items within a task, and is automatically made a Watcher.
On the other hand, Watchers receive updates when any changes are made within a task, but they are not necessarily assigned to complete anything within said task.
Be sure to let us know what else you would like to see on our feedback board here!