Watchers are people that are "watching" (or "following") a task. These people receive notifications when tasks they watch are updated.
Throughout ClickUp, you’ll see the "Eye" icon indicating Watchers:
How to watch a task
While viewing a task, click the eye icon on the top right side of the task window. Then, select yourself and/or others to add to Watchers.
Manage Watchers for a task
In addition to adding yourself, you also can add, edit, or remove watchers for the entire task. The names with an icon in a purple circle are Watchers.
Click the Watcher eye to see when the task was last viewed. This is great for team accountability and monitoring for task updates.
Other places you can adjust Watchers:
- Notifications page: Easily watch and unwatch tasks directly from the Notifications page by clicking the eye icon.
- Creating task: Click the Eye icon in the Create Task window to add people to the Watchers list.
- Multitask Toolbar: If you need to add or remove Watchers in bulk, use the Multitask toolbar to add watchers to multiple tasks at the same time.
What makes you a Watcher?
- When you're tagged in a task
- When you're assigned to a task
- When a comment is assigned to you in a task
- When you or someone else adds you through the Eye icon (available on task and in notifications)
What's the difference between a Watcher and an Assignee?
An assignee is responsible for completing one or more items within a task, and is automatically made a Watcher.
On the other hand, Watchers receive updates when any changes are made within a task, but they are not necessarily assigned to complete anything within said task.
Be sure to let us know what else you would like to see on our feedback board here!