Plan your work over time or create visual Roadmaps with Timeline view! Similar to Gantt (except you can have multiple Tasks per row), Timeline is a linear way to visualize your schedule with flexible organization.
Group Timelines for incredible flexibility in planning ahead of time. Use ClickUp for your public roadmap, keep clients up-to-date, or share Timeline views with people that are too stubborn to join your Workspace with public sharing.
Users on Business+ Workspaces have full access to Timeline view. Learn about our plans here.
How to add a Timeline view
- Click on
+new view in any List, Folder, Space
- Select Timeline
- Give it a name
- Optionally mark it as a Personal view or pin the view for quick access!
How to use a Timeline view
See Days, Weeks, or Months
Select the dropdown menu beside
Today to choose your zoom level. By default, Timeline is in days, but easily zoom out to weeks to view more - great for longer running projects and high-level overviews.
Pro Tip: You can also zoom in with the
+ button to see a larger day view!
- Group by
assigneeto see tasks per person and how booked a person is each day.
- Group by
priorityto see tasks overlapping and quickly easily slide things around.
- You can even group tasks by tags, custom fields, Lists, and more!
Tasks assigned to multiple people
If you have tasks assigned to multiple people, and are grouping by assignee, then tasks will appear multiple times, once for each person. This allows you to see the full picture for each person as you look at them.
There is still only one task, so changes to it will appear everywhere it's shown, including rescheduling it.
You can also drag these tasks to a different assignee, which will remove only the person you dragged it from, and add the new person.
Unassigned tasks have their own special group at the bottom. However, it is important to note that this group does not display all unassigned tasks!
These are tasks that are scheduled within the visible period and happen to be unassigned.
Unscheduled & overdue tasks
With any time-bound view it's important to not forget what is out of sight. Scheduled but unassigned tasks are visible; however, staff might have:
- Overdue tasks out of view that need attending to
- Assigned tasks that don't appear because they haven't been scheduled
- Private tasks that aren't visible to you
To catch these, we have the sidebar. It is divided into these categories, and will make sure you don't miss any tasks!
While collapsed it will show the total tasks of each types. Just click it to expand it and see them. You can reschedule them by dropping them right onto the Workload view.
Customize your view
Along with filtering and grouping, you can also choose extra options to customize your view:
The options are:
- Send notifications: Reduce notifications while you're planning out your projects by toggling off the notifications. With this off, people won't be notified of your date or group changes, so you can plan with peace of mind that you're not interrupting others' workflows.
- Expand task names: Expand the name of your tasks. Tasks with longer names will display the full name outside of the task block, so you can see everything at a glance.
- Show recurring tasks: Include recurring tasks when planning your schedule or roadmaps!
- Hide weekends: Nobody on your team works weekends? Get rid of them!
- Subtasks: To see or not to see?
- Closed tasks: Get the feeling of accomplishment by seeing all the tasks you've already done. Turn this off if loading very large views!
- Location: Know where each task is in your hierarchy
- Parent name: See where each subtask has spawned from
- Assignees: Handy when not already grouping by assignee
Pro Tip: Add a Timeline to Everything view to show tasks across multiple Spaces, giving you or your team a company-wide view!
How to add tasks to your Timeline
Create new tasks by clicking anywhere in your Timeline!
Alternatively, you can drop existing tasks onto the Timeline. This will change them to be in that group. Drag from each end of the task to expand or shrink their duration, as needed.
Access additional task details by hovering over any task.
Pro Tip: When grouping by assignees, quickly jump to the unscheduled or overdue tasks for any person that might need to be rescheduled by clicking on the buttons below their name.
Coloring your tasks
Tasks can be given color schemes, based on either:
- The color of the List they're in
- Their status color
- The color of their value for a dropdown custom field
Take your Timeline to the next level with Workload view visualize your team's capacity and manage resources!
Want to learn more?