Note: This import is compatible with Basecamp 3. If you use an older version of Basecamp, you'll need to upgrade to Basecamp 3 first to proceed with the import.
How long does an import take?
Starting the import process generally takes 2 to 10 minutes. After you've confirmed the import, the actual importing time can vary between 1 minute to a few hours. This is entirely based on how much data you have in Basecamp as well as Basecamp's rate limits!
Since Basecamp does rate-limit the import, we have to throttle the speed to ensure we don't hit the rate limit.
We'll send you an email as soon as your import is done!
Then, import your Basecamp to-dos into the ClickUp Space(s) you've created.
How to start an Import from Basecamp
Note: You must be on Basecamp V3.
- Click on your profile avatar in the lower left section of your screen
- Select Import/Export
- Click the Basecamp button
- In the pop-up window, allow ClickUp to access your Basecamp account
After authorizing ClickUp to import your Basecamp data, you'll be presented with four steps.
1. Import To-dos
You will be able to import tasks from both Basecamp Projects and Teams. All you have to do is choose between creating a new ClickUp Space to import Basecamp projects into or adding Basecamp Projects into an existing Space. Click here to learn more about the ClickUp Hierarchy.
- New Space: Import to-dos into a brand new space, named after the Basecamp project. Basecamp lists will import as ClickUp Lists without Folders.
- Existing Space: Import to-dos into an existing ClickUp Space. We will create a Folder named after the Basecamp project, and nest Lists under the Folder. This option is recommended for all related projects from Basecamp.
Note: ClickUp Spaces must be unique. We will automatically append a number on duplicates
On the left side, you'll see all projects from Basecamp.
On the right side, you'll designate how you're mapping your data into ClickUp.
We're able to automatically import the following details from Basecamp. Here is how they will transfer:
- Basecamp list title as ClickUp List title
- Basecamp list description as ClickUp List description
- Basecamp list comments as ClickUp List comments
- Basecamp list assignee(s) as ClickUp List assignee(s)
- Basecamp to-do title as ClickUp task title
- Basecamp to-do description as ClickUp task description
- Basecamp to-do comments as ClickUp task comments
- Basecamp to-do groups as ClickUp statuses
Note: Unfortunately, Basecamp limitations prevent us from importing the following:
- Message Boards
- Docs and Files on the Project
- Attachments on comments in the to-dos and lists
2. Import Project Statuses
For to-do groups, you have two options:
Groups as Statuses: For example, your groups would be things like:
To do ,
In Progress ,
Done - In this case, your projects will be imported as a new List with groups as statuses.
Do not use To-Do Groups: If selected, all your tasks will appear in an
3. Import Users (optional)
Map Basecamp users to ClickUp users in order to preserve assignees, history, and item activity. If you don't map users, the data will still be imported, but will not be synced to a ClickUp user and assignees that aren't mapped to ClickUp will not be preserved.
If you haven't already added users into ClickUp, simply select
invite by email to invite and map automatically.
Include archived to-dos from Basecamp by selecting:
Yes, import all to-dos including closed
Now standby! You'll be out of the woods soon. 😉
Note: If you're done with your import and are ready to move stuff around, make sure to take advantage of our Multitask Toolbar!