Do you have sensitive information that you want locked down? Set permissions for important things in ClickUp.
What are permissions?
Permission settings let you decide what people can (and can't) do inside of ClickUp. For example, you may not want certain people being able to edit your stuff.
Permissions may be set for anyone - including both Guests and Members. They can be set for Folders, Lists, and tasks.
Spaces, however, do not have permission settings.
Setting permissions for Folders, Lists, and Tasks
- Click the action menu
- Open the
- Open the permissions dropdown beside members or guests
- You may also set permissions as you invite members and guests
Note: Free Forever plans don’t have the ability to set permissions (Create and edit only).
Types of permissions
Can view: read-only, cannot edit tasks in anyway
- Members and guests are able to see details but are not able to interact
- Guests may be restricted from viewing Time Tracked and Time Estimated. They can also be restricted from adding or removing Tags.
Can comment: comment only, and attach files
- Liking comments
- Assigning and resolving comments related to themselves
- Attaching files
Can comment (with task assigned): comment, attach files, change status, and change assignee(s).
- Change status
- Change assignee(s)
Can edit: edit tasks, but can't create new tasks
- Editing all task details (status, assignee, title, ClickApps, etc)
- Members to have the ability to share, add, and remove access
- Edit subtasks
- Ability to remove attachments
- Ability to archive
- Ability to move, merge, duplicate, or use templates
Create and Edit (Full)
- Ability to create tasks and subtasks
- This is the only option for guests on Free Forever Workplaces
Can delete: prevent people from deleting items they didn't create
- When enabled, members will only be able to delete items they created.
- Admins will always be able to delete items (even if they didn't create them).
- This is an Enterprise feature.
Hide Custom Fields from Guests
If you don't want guests to see custom fields in the Folders, Lists or tasks you've shared with them, just follow these steps:
- Navigate to the custom fields menu for a Folder or List
- Hover over the field you want to hid and click the Eye icon
- Flip the toggle to hide the custom field from guests