Do you have sensitive information that you want locked down? Set permissions for important things in ClickUp.
What are permissions?
Permission settings let you decide what people can (and can't) do inside of ClickUp.
Permissions may be set for anyone - including both Guests and Members. They can be set for Folders, Lists, and tasks.
Spaces, however, do not have permission settings.
Setting permissions for Folders, Lists, and Tasks
- Click the action menu
- Open the
- Open the permissions dropdown beside members or guests
- You may also set permissions as you invite members and guests
Note: Free Forever plans don’t have the ability to set permissions (Create and edit only).
Types of permissions
Can view: read-only, cannot edit tasks in any way
- Members and guests are able to see details but are not able to interact
- Can download but not add attachments to tasks
Can comment: comment only, attach files, complete checklist items assigned to them
- Liking comments
- Assigning and resolving comments related to themselves
- Attaching files
- Complete assigned checklist items
Can comment (with task assigned): if someone has can comment permissions with a task assigned to them, they have all the same abilities as can comment, and they're also able to:
- Change task status
- Change task assignee(s)
Can edit: edit tasks, but can't create new tasks
- Edit all task and subtask details (status, assignee, title, ClickApps, etc)
- Members have the ability to add and remove other users from the task
- Ability to remove attachments
- Ability to archive
- Ability to move, merge, duplicate, or use templates
Create and Edit (Full)
- Ability to create tasks and subtasks
- Can add attachments
- This is the only option for guests on Free Forever Workplaces
Can delete: prevent people from deleting items they didn't create
- When enabled, members will only be able to delete items they created.
- Admins will always be able to delete items (even if they didn't create them).
- Note: This feature is available only with the Enterprise Plan.
Hide Custom Fields from Guests
If you don't want guests to see custom fields in the Folders, Lists or tasks you've shared with them, just follow these steps:
- Navigate to the custom fields menu for a Folder or List
- Hover over the field you want to hid and click the Eye icon
- Flip the toggle to hide the custom field from guests
PDF version of Permissions chart available here.
Other helpful information
User roles also play a part in what actions a person has available in a Workspace!