Custom Fields let you build ClickUp to manage virtually anything you can imagine 💡
Track, sort, and filter work according to your Workspace's needs.
Custom Fields are a ClickApp that can be enabled by Admin+ from the menu behind their avatar.
On the ClickApps page, select whether you want to sort Custom Fields manually or alphabetically on your task windows.
Editing Custom Fields
- Open a Space, Folder, or List’s settings from the
...menu in the sidebar
- Add, edit, or organize the Custom Fields for the selected area
- You can also locate an existing field from another area in your Workspace
- Business+ users can require any Custom Fields to be filled in upon task creation
- Open a task to set the field
Creating Custom Fields
- From the same Custom Fields option on the
...menu, click on New Custom Field
- Select the Custom Field type
- Name your field
- Choose to require the Custom Field if on a Business+ Plan
Note: You can create Custom Fields at the Space, Folder, and List level, however, each Custom Field must be unique in its group. For example, if you create a Custom Field for a Folder, you can't create the same Custom Field with the same title in a List nested in the Folder.
Required Custom Fields
From the Custom Fields Manager modal, Admins can choose to require Custom Fields to be filled out upon task creation. Requiring Custom Fields helps enforce process and ensure data integrity for your entire Workspace.
If on, the selected Custom Field will prevent a new task from being created until it's filled out.
Note: This will require the Custom Field to be filled out in all the locations it is used.
How to Use Custom Fields
- Custom Fields ClickApp must be turned on at the Space level
- Custom Fields are managed at the Everything (for Custom Fields available to every task in your Workspace), Space, Folder, and List levels
- You can reuse your fields across your Workspace
- You can calculate numeric Custom Fields in List View
Displaying Custom Fields
- You can display any Field(s) you like in List, Board, and Calendar views.
- In List view, click the + icon on the right side of the columns header to show hidden fields or create new ones.
- In Calendar and Board views, click the Show menu in the upper right
- You may hide Custom Fields from invited Guests by opening a Folder or List’s Custom Fields menu. Beside each field in the Folder or List, click Guests
Additionally, you can create new Custom Fields when adding columns to List View.
- Click on the + icon in the top left of your List view
- Select a Custom Field type from the dropdown
- Set the field name
- Hit ENTER or RETURN on your keyboard, or click “Add Column”
Workspace Custom Fields
Create a custom field that's accessible for any Space, Folder, List or task across your entire Workspace!
Everythingin List View
- Click the
+sign on the top right of your tasks. Choose
Custom fields libraryto select from existing fields, or select the custom field type to create a new custom field at the Workspace level.
- Now, you'll see this field as an option for any new item you create in your Workspace.
Setting Custom Fields in Tasks
In each task window, you will find available Custom Fields below the task description.
By default task view will display fields with values. You can click
Show empty fields to view all available Custom Fields. If you want to have a field displayed regardless of if it's filled in, pin it!
And, you can quickly clear any entered value by hitting the
x button on the right side of any custom field.
To edit the Custom Fields in a task, select
+Add or edit fields at the bottom right of the custom field section.
Then as you hover over you options, you will be able to pin, rename, delete, or hide the field from guests. Changes made here will affect the custom field everywhere that it is used.
Note: Enterprise Plan owners can determine who has the ability to pin Custom Fields through Custom Permissions.
Setting Custom Fields In List
- Click the ellipses
...for a List
Custom Fieldsin the dropdown
New Custom Field
- Select a field type, give the field a name, and click
Bulk Editing Custom Fields with the Multitask Toolbar
- Select one or more tasks
- Locate the Custom Field icon from the toolbar
- Set or remove Custom Fields from your available options
- Ensure column is visible (see Displaying Custom Fields above)
- Click the column header to sort
- Open the filter or settings menu from Calendar, Board, or List View
- Click the + icon in the lower-left
- Choose from any custom field you've created
- Insert a value
- Choose the match type
Custom Field Details
With formula fields, you're able to make calculations between numeric Custom Fields on a task to automatically determine things like the cost of a new product order or scoring for a new lead.
Custom Fields Reporting
Gain insight into how your fields are being used with reports! You can group results by person, task, and even sort and filter your results for customized viewing.
Use Custom Fields if you
- Want to add custom information to all tasks in a Folder or List
- Want to track tasks across Folders or Lists for things like scrum points, budget calculations, or importance levels
- Need workmates to add certain information for each task
- Need to sort or filter by Custom Fields
Want some more tips on the different fields ClickUp offers? Just click here!
Custom Fields Mobile
Take advantage of Custom Fields on iOS and Android, so you can keep working on the go!
What could we improve? Let us know here!
Custom Fields on Paid Plans
- Unlimited Plan & above: Unlimited Custom Fields