Resource Management in Timeline View
Plan your work over time or create visual Roadmaps with Timeline view! Similar to Gantt, Timeline is a linear way to visualize your schedule with flexible organization.
- Group by
assigneeto see tasks per person and how booked a person is each day.
- Group by
priorityto see tasks overlapping and quickly easily slide things around.
- You can even group tasks by tags, custom fields, and more!
Unscheduled & overdue tasks
Scheduled but unassigned tasks are visible, however staff might have:
- Overdue tasks out of view that need attending to
- Assigned tasks that don't appear because they haven't been scheduled, or
To catch these, we have the sidebar. It is divided into these categories, and will make sure you don't miss any tasks!
Using Workload View for Resource Management
Plan and monitor your team's work capacity with Workload view! Based off Timeline view, Workload allows you to visualize your team's capacity and manage resources.
Workload view shows a day-by-day visualization of how much each person has assigned to them during that period and compares it with their capacity.
This allows you to immediately see who is overburdened, and re-allocate to those showing unused capacity.
Know how much can get done, so work is prioritized, by measuring capacity by:
- Hours: the amount of time each person has available
- Tasks: how many tasks a person can get done in a day - especially useful if tasks are all the same size
- Points: Used in systems like Scrum to give relative sizing to tasks
Set the capacity for each team member by clicking the capacity under their name or the capacity bar to bring up the modal.
Weekly capacity will be divided evenly across Monday - Friday, leaving the weekends free.
Pro Tip: Get yourself off to a running start by applying a baseline to all team members, then customize from there!
Users on Enterprise Workspaces can also elect to customize capacities per day, including setting different days as their 'weekends' with no capacity.
Manage Workload in Dashboards
Dashboards are the best way to manage resources using customizable widgets to give you insights into sprints, projects, people, statuses, and more!
If your organization runs Agile Methodology, our sprint widgets are the perfect companion to team resource management!
- Burndown: See how your team performs against a target line, and compare against the projected.
- Burnup: Oversee both your scope of work to be done and the work completed.
- Velocity: Visualize the completion rate of your tasks.
- Cumulative Flow: See your tasks status progress overtime.
Using these four widgets will give any Scrum Master or Product Manager the insights needed to plan their next sprint and see the team's workload, capacity, and task progression.
So you don't run agile in your Workspace? Fear not! You might benefit from using one of our other Dashboard widgets or resource management tools below.
Tasks by Assignee
This widget is applied to the Space, Folder, or List level to show you the number of tasks per assignee in that location.
See who's tackling lots of tasks, or only a few, and distribute your upcoming workload accordingly! Try using a filter to get a more detailed insight of these resources.
Custom Bar, Pie, and Battery Charts
Setting up a custom chart is also a fantastic way to see exactly what you're looking for!
To best set up a chart for resource management, we suggest:
- Start with assignee on the X-axis for both bar and battery charts, and group by for pie charts.
- Choose a workload type to be analyzed against that best suites your needs. Use number of tasks, hours estimated, scrum points, or any other custom field you have set up!
Manage Workload in Box View
Box view is completely unique to ClickUp - and is a way to rethink resource management entirely. Now, you can manage resources visually and even drag and drop to move tasks to and from different resources!
Plus, with the Workload chart (Business plan only), you can easily see who is ready for more tasks, and who might be overloaded!
You can measure resources' workload and capacity in Box view based on:
Managing resources is then as easy as dragging and dropping tasks from one person's box to another!
Showing tasks without time estimates
time estimates turned on, you can also see how many tasks per person do not contain time estimates:
From there, you can quickly add time estimates to get a better understanding of how much is actually on their plate.
Click on a person's avatar anywhere in the app to see what he or she has recently completed, as well as what's being worked on now and in the future. It's another great feature to help manage your team's time!