Bring your developers into one Workspace with everything they need to get the job done. In this doc, we'll bridge the gap between development teams and organize all of your company's workflows. ClickUp even lets non-technical teams connect and work in the same platform!
Start with the Hierarchy
ClickUp's unique organizational structure ensures that each of your tasks will have a clear sense of purpose. Given that software development processes can be prone to unexpected changes, it's critical that your entire Workspace understands how tasks stack up within your overall workflow.
Start by creating a Workspace for your company or organization. This will act as the overarching container for your ClickUp Spaces, Folders, Lists, and tasks.
Add a Space called "Development" to house your entire software development process. If you're using ClickUp to run a business, you may consider adding other Spaces within your Workspace for the different departments within your company.
Spaces can be made private as well if you'd like to determine which users have access to view certain Folders.
Use Folders to contain the different elements of your software development process. For instance, you could have Projects entitled "Sprints", "QA", and "Operations".
Lists stand alone or exist in Folders, but this is where your tasks live. It's a List of tasks.
For example, you can add a List to manage your backlog items within a larger Folder. When you're ready to conquer the tasks in the backlog List, simply convert your List into a Sprint using the Sprints ClickApp!
Tasks represent the concrete action items you'll need to complete to check off your Lists. This is where you can get down to the nitty-gritty details and start implementing your ideas!
Manage Your Sprints With the Sprints ClickApp
Software teams use the Sprints ClickApp to easily manage resources for development projects.
Set Sprint Dates, mark Statuses, see Spillover Tasks, and use Total Estimation to view your total work at the top of each Sprint. Your Dashboards will automatically pull Sprint information in real-time so you can easily measure how well you scoped out your work.
Once enabled, you can use the Sprints ClickApp for:
- Sprint Dates: Set start and end dates for each Sprint.
- Sprint Statuses: See the status of your Sprints at a glance with colored icons and dates.
- Spillover Tasks: Any tasks not marked
Closedwhen your Sprint ends are considered Spillover Tasks to be completed in the next Sprint.
- Total Estimation: The total amount of work you have in your Sprint is summarized at the top of your Sprint. You configure what estimation method is used on the Sprint Settings.
- Sprint Automations: Save time by automatically creating Sprints, marking completed Sprints, and pulling unfinished tasks into your next Sprint with Sprint Automations.
Tracking Sprint Progress in Dashboards
Dashboards come loaded with many widget options, but the most valuable here are our sprint widgets. The real power being able to customize how and what data you want to see. Build a Dashboard per team or create a master Dashboard pulling key data from all your team.
We include many of the core report types used in agile methodology. These include...
- Burn Downs: For measuring your rate of completion against a target line to help visually see your pace.
- Burn Ups: Giving you a clearer view of work completed against the backlog of work - easily see changes in scope.
- Cumulative Flow: See your tasks move across statuses and visually see bottlenecks in process before they get too big.
- Velocity: For gauging the average completion of work per sprint integrations, helping you better estimate for future sprints.
Important: You will need an Unlimited Plan to access Dashboards, and a Business Plan to have access to custom graphs and velocity chart.
Show Sprint Points in Box View
Display workload by Sprint Points in Box View and measure individual progress:
ClickApps and other features for Developers
Custom Statuses for Projects: Certain scenarios require that Projects have different statuses than their parent Spaces. ClickUp makes it easy to create reliable custom status workflows for each Project within your Development Space!
Custom Fields: Add a unique task ID to keep track of scrum points, or really anything else you can imagine.
Dependencies: This feature allows all teammates to stay on track and understand which tasks are waiting on or blocking others.
Keep in mind that you will want to use Lists or tags for sprints in this scenario so that you may filter by that List or tag to see the total scrum points tasks in that sprint.
Board View: This view allows the user to have a more day to day view of a Folder’s progress, helpful for Scrum Masters particularly as well as Product Owners. In addition, this view is essentially a Kanban board.
Tasks in Multiple Lists: Keep track of your individual backlogs and add tasks to a specific Sprints for better organization and reporting.