"Epics" are utilized to break down larger projects into smaller, more manageable pieces. They can also be used to link related tasks (or "stories") together.
Luckily for Jira users who switch to ClickUp, our Goals feature offers a natural solution to organize your workflow into Epics. Goals allow you to set high level objectives that can be broken down into measurable Targets (key results).
How to set up "Epics" in ClickUp
- Set your Goal's title as your overall objective
- Use Targets to break down the key results you'll accomplish to reach your objective
You can choose from four different Target types
- Number: Track increases or decreases between any range of numbers.
- True/False: True or false Targets are simply done or not done.
- Currency: Track your money with this Target type.
- Tasks: Automatically tracks completion of tasks and/or Lists. Use this if your Target is to complete a group tasks.
Example Epic - Improve Mobil UI
In this example, we named our Goal/Epic "Improve Mobile UI" and broke it down into smaller Targets of "Add mobile shopping cart, Optimize speed, and Consistent font." The Target types used in this example are Done/Not Done, and linking Lists and tasks.
- Click on the Target type Done/Not Done to mark it as finished
- Targets that have tasks or Lists linked to them will automatically update the Goal's progress as the individual task statuses are changed to Done statuses by teammates
As each Target is completed, we'll see the Goal completion percentage update in real time. Now, your team can easily stay updated on the health of the Epic by tracking the completion of accompanying Targets.
Check out a quick video on creating Epics in ClickUp here!
Need to import from the old version of Jira? Click here.