With task dependencies, you can easily see which tasks are blocking and waiting on others.
Note: This doc will review how to set up task dependencies in the original ClickUp Workspace. If you'd like to know how to set up task dependency Relationships so that the dependencies will have their own unique table under the task description, click here.
How to Set Dependencies
- Open a task
- Click the
...menu to open the action menu
- Add one or multiple tasks that this task is WAITING ON
- Add one or multiple tasks that this task is BLOCKING
- Add one or multiple tasks that this task LINKS TO
Alternatively, you can add dependencies within a task by clicking the icon shown in the image below.
ClickUp will automatically change the due date of a task that is "waiting on" another task if the "blocking" task's due date is adjusted.
This can be enabled or disabled at any time from the dependencies ClickApp in your Workspace settings page.
Important Note: When linking tasks, they will not follow any rules that dependencies normally follow
You'll receive a notification for each of the following events:
- A task that is unblocked and ready to start
- A dependency is added (or removed)
- You create a task for your writer to create a blog post- Your designer has a task to create graphics for the post but this is WAITING ON the blog post to be started- Your writer's other blog post task is BLOCKING them from getting started on this new task
- You want to release a new feature for exporting attachments- The task for this is WAITING ON on another task that makes it easy for the system to consolidate files- A bug was found and the task to fix the bug is now BLOCKING the feature from being completed
Note: When a task is set to recur, any dependencies will not recur as well and must be re-added to the task.
How to add Dependencies in List and Board Views
Hover over a task in List or Board View and click on the ellipses ... to add new dependencies to the task! You'll also be able to see pre-existing dependencies within the task by clicking on Dependencies from the drop-down menu.
You can also add dependencies to tasks in Calendar View by right-clicking on them!
Linking Tasks in Bulk
Easily create links between multiple related tasks using the Multitask Toolbar! Choose to link all the tasks to each other or to one main task.
Before closing a task that is waiting on another task, ClickUp will display the incomplete warning to prevent people from forgetting other requirements for the task at hand.
Dependencies in Templates
Dependencies in templates let you set up a required flow for how tasks should be completed. You may then create new Spaces, Folders, or Lists with planned out task dependencies already in place.
Using a Space, Folder, or List template that includes dependencies will only include "internal dependencies." These are dependencies that only involve other tasks inside of that template.
Copying tasks with dependencies will replicate the task and add either waiting on or blocking task to the related task.
Managing Dependencies in Gantt View
Draw lines between tasks to automatically set and visualize dependencies.
When "Reschedule Dependencies" is enabled, dragging a task with dependencies will automatically reschedule all subsequent tasks in the chain.
Read more about copying dependencies here!