Okay to start this off - I'm not even going to pretend like this is simple. I mean it is JIRA, right?
Instead of a normal one-click authorization, of course, JIRA makes this process ridiculously complicated.
But hang in there - I promise it'll be worth being able to use ClickUp instead of being stuck in 1999.
Here we go, we're in this together!
Start Import in ClickUp
- Go to Settings
- Click Import
- Click the JIRA tab
Create Application Link in JIRA
Here's where it gets really user-friendly, as I'm sure you're used to with JIRA...
- In JIRA, click the JIRA icon in the upper left
- Click JIRA settings
- Click Products
- Click Application links
5. Paste the URL https://clickup.com/jira and click "Create new link"
6. In the popup, click Continue
7. Enter "ClickUp" In the Application Name field, and then select Continue
Setup Application Link to Import into ClickUp
- Click the edit icon to edit the application link you just created
2. Click the Incoming Authentication tab in the left side
3. Paste clickupclient into the Consumer Key field
4. Paste ClickUp into the Consumer Name field
5. Scroll down, and paste your key into the Public Key field. To get your key, go to the import page in ClickUp. You will paste the base URL of your JIRA instance, ending with
.net/ as shown in the field below (see example). Then you will receive your key to paste into JIRA.
To note: Versions of JIRA that are hosted "On-Premises" are not available to be imported from this module, but if you would like to see this added you can add a vote to this feature request!
6. Click Save in JIRA and hop back to ClickUp to Import
Structuring your ClickUp import (EASY PART)
You made it! It's all downhill from here, my friend.
Step 1: Import Projects
On the left side of the screen, you'll see all of your JIRA projects.
On the right side, you choose what to do with the JIRA projects from the left. You have the following options:
- Import into existing Space (import the project into a Space you already created)
- Import into new Space (import the project into a brand new Space)
- Don't import project
When you import JIRA projects, we'll automatically import your statuses as well as any subtasks that you had in Jira! 🙌
Step 2: Import Users
On the left side, you'll see all the users from your JIRA import.
On the right side, you have options for what to do with these users.
- Select a user: use this when the JIRA user is already on your Workspace
- Invite user by email: use this if the JIRA user isn't currently a member of your Workspace
- Don't import user
If I don't import users, can I do it later?
Not really. Of course, you can always add people later, but they won't be mapped to your JIRA import. That means, their previous comments and assigned tasks won't be associated with their new account. This is why we highly recommend mapping all users that are going to be using ClickUp.
Step 3: Options
- date created
- time estimate
- time spent
- due date
- task ID
It's Important to note here that all "Time Spent" in JIRA will import into ClickUp assigned to the user that is doing the import, and association with other users in JIRA will be lost after the import is completed. To mitigate this issue, we recommend making a note on each task being imported of who tracked time on the task and how much, for future reference!
Include closed tasks: Some people want to leave the blackholes behind. Others don't want the anxiety of not knowing if they lost something. It's your call!
You even have the ability to map your JIRA priorities to the four standard ClickUp priorities.
Separate JIRA issue types into separate ClickUp lists: JIRA can have types of tasks (ie. Bugs, Tasks, New features, etc) - with this option enabled, we'll separate these tasks into different ClickUp lists.
To note: Adding Story Points from JIRA to your ClickUp Workspace can be done via the creation of a custom field in the import process, but if you would like to see the Story Points added to their own specific Story Point attribute in the task itself, add a vote to this request on our feedback board!
If you're still with me, I personally congratulate you. I mean I had to do this too just to write this damn doc.
The good news is you'll never have to do that again.
If you're done with your import and are ready to move stuff around, make sure to take advantage of our Multitask Toolbar!
Welcome to ClickUp.
Want to learn more?