Note: This doc explains features in ClickUp 2.0. If you're looking for a 1.0 doc, check out this link!
Creating a Space
Spaces are at the very top of the ClickUp hierarchy, and are the first organizational level that you encounter within your Workplace.
Almost everything in ClickUp is customizable, and some settings (such as ClickApps) are implemented at the Space level.
By default, all Folders and Lists will inherit settings from their parent Spaces.
When you're ready to switch Spaces, navigating between Spaces and editing them is also easy.
Keep in mind that you are not locked into these settings when creating Spaces. You can change them at any time.
Which type of Space should I choose?
Once you click to create a Space, you'll be given two options. You can create a completely new Space, or you can create a Space based off of an existing template.
This doc will detail the creation steps for both of these Space types.
Creating a Space from Scratch
When creating an entirely new Space, you can choose to make it public, or private to specific people:
Note: Even though you can set privacy at the Space level, you can override this and choose different settings for Folders and Lists within a Space.
Next, create a custom workflow for tasks in your Space. You can choose to keep things simple with only a "beginning" and "end" status, or add as many phases as you need in between.
You can even add Done statuses in your workflow. These are perfect for indicating that a task is complete, without actually closing the task.
ClickUp additionally gives you options to choose from preselected workflows. These include Scrum, Marketing, Content Creation, and of course, Kanban.
Note: Any settings for Statuses on the Space will act as defaults for Folders and Lists, but can be overridden at any time.
Finally, at the bottom of the page you will be asked which ClickApps you would like to enable for this Space. These include:
- Multiple Assignees: By checking this box, you may have more than one assignee for each task within this Space. If this box is unchecked, you can only have one assignee for each task.
- Priorities: Clarify when each task must be completed by classifying each task as "Urgent", "High", "Normal", or "Low".
- Time Tracking: Keep a record of how long you work on tasks within this Space, and gain new insight into your workflow.
- Tags: Organize tasks on a whole new level, and give your tasks a renewed sense of purpose.
- Time Estimates: Gauge how long you believe it will take to complete each task within your Space.
- Custom Fields: Create unique task columns to manage a budget, client contact info and much more.
- Dependency Warning: Before closing a task that is waiting on another task, ClickUp can display a warning message to ensure tasks are closed in the proper order.
- Remap subtask due dates: When you change a parent task's due date, we'll ask you if you want us to automatically change its subtask due dates by the same amount.
Editing Existing Spaces
- Hover over your Spaces bar on the left side of your screen
- Once it expands, click on the ellipses next to the Space you’d like to edit
- Click “Settings” to make changes
Note: You must be an admin in order to access the Settings and make changes!
Creating a Space from a Template
If you select the option to create a Space from a Template, you'll be able to customize exactly how to implement the template into your new Space.
- Under the “Templates” tab of the “Create new Space menu, enter a new Space name
- Select the existing Space template you’d like to use
Import from template, you can choose to keep retain all of your templated features by selecting “Everything”. You can also click “Custom” to select specific elements to carry over to the new Space.
Be sure to let us know what else you would like to see on our feedback board here!