This doc explains features in ClickUp 2.0. Looking for a 1.0 doc? Check out this link!
How long does an import take?
Starting the import process generally takes 2 to 10 minutes. After you've confirmed the import, the actual importing time can vary between 1 minute to a few hours. This is entirely based on how much data you have in Asana as well as Asana's rate limits.
Since Asana does rate limit the import, we have to throttle the speed to ensure we don't hit the rate limit, which is why it can take up to a few hours (or more) if you have lots of attachments.
We'll send you an email as soon as your import is done.
Then, import your Asana projects into the Spaces you already created.
How to start an Import from Asana
Note: You must be an admin or owner on your Workplace in order to perform an import.
- Click on your profile avatar in the upper right section of your screen
- Select Import/Export
- Click the Asana button
- Authorize ClickUp to import your tasks on Asana's website
After authorizing ClickUp to import your Asana data, you'll be presented with three steps.
Step 1: Import Tasks
On the left side, you'll see all projects from Asana.
On the right side is how you're mapping into ClickUp.
You have 3 options for importing Asana projects into ClickUp. Basically, you're just importing Asana projects into new ClickUp Folders. Your choices are to import them into a new Space, or into an existing Space. Read more about the ClickUp hierarchy to understand Spaces and Folders in ClickUp.
- New Space- Import the project into a brand new Space, named after the Asana project.
- Existing Space- Import your project into an existing ClickUp Space. This option is recommendedfor all related projects from Asana.
- Do not import this project- Skips this Asana project and will not import it into ClickUp.
Tip: We recommend importing related Asana projects into the same Space in ClickUp. This keeps your workflows organized and easy to navigate.
If you use Boards in Asana, chances are you use them one of two ways:
- Columns as Statuses: For example, your columns would be things like:- To do - In progress- Review - DoneIn this case, your Board will be imported as a new Folder with a List named 'Imported from Asana'. You'll then have the option to import into an existing Space or a new Space.
- Columns as Lists: Basically, anything that isn't a status. You label columns for organizational purposes - not for moving tasks through a workflow. In this case, your board will be imported as a New Folder and your columns will become ClickUp Lists.
Step 2: Import Users
Map Asana users to ClickUp users in order to preserve assignees, history, and task activity. If you don't map users, the data will still be imported, but will not be synced to a ClickUp user and assignees that aren't mapped to ClickUp will not be preserved.
Note: If you haven't already added users into ClickUp, simply select 'invite by email' to invite and map automatically.
Step 3: Options
Import closed tasks from Asana
This option allows you to import all tasks or just open tasks into ClickUp. Generally, we recommend importing all of your tasks - you can reference all past history and attachments in ClickUp.
Import attachments from Asana
Most people do want to import attachments from Asana. If you're on the Free Forever plan and worried about going over your storage limit, then you might want to select 'no' to skip importing attachments.
Unfortunately, Asana does not provide a way to calculate how much data is in your attachments, so you'll only know after the import has been completed.
What happens if I have Asana tasks that belong to multiple projects?
ClickUp will import the task into the first available ClickUp Folder. We are unable to associate tasks to multiple Folders (or Spaces) since in ClickUp - each Space can have different settings (assignees, statuses, features).
Note: Recurring tasks will be imported, but their recurrence settings will need to be re-created in ClickUp.
- Ability to import recurrence information attached to tasks
- Ability to import custom fields
If you're done with your import and are ready to move stuff around, make sure to take advantage of our Multitask Toolbar!